Monday 23 January 2012

The Pawn

I am not the king, so noble in his throne
Nor the regal queen by his hand
I am not the tower whose gaze can roam
So far and steady as he stands
I am not the knight with all his pride
Not even his graceful steed
I am not the bishop by His Majesty's side
With loyalty in his every heed

I do not hold any power great
Nor am I blessed with able speech
My steps by far cannot equate
To whose agility I beseech

Yet with my comrades, here I stand
In a single block of eight-squared land
For king and kingdom I will fight
'Til enemy lines are behind my sight
Square by square, I'll find rank eight
And upon that line I'll seal my fate
This hope I have will never stray
That I, too, might be great someday.

1 comment:

  1. quite amazing! How you manage to rhyme so well is beyond me...

    ReplyDelete