Saturday 7 January 2012

Set Fire to Fire

You.
You were never one for flowing words, but the love that dances within you does so with more grace and sincerity than the greatest poet could ever express. Like a fire, it knows no limits.

I.
I have always been drawn to darkness. I have always embraced its poisonous seduction and let the bitter smoke from its fires swirl around my fingertips. To me, fire has always been akin to power, passion, danger, rage, and destruction, because that is how my fires have always burned. I saw a pulse within those fires, a pulse I longed to blend with my own; a steady, glinting pulse that fed my fascination for their mystery.

You.
You, too, had that same alluring mystery, touched by the same anxious pulse. You drew me in and captivated me with it. I was spellbound by the passion that coursed deep inside your veins, accented by a hint of danger. You pulled me closer and closer, but as you neared my heart, I began to notice something. Your pulse had changed itself. Or maybe, it had changed mine. The sharpness of the power and rage that was so characteristic to the fires I knew was smudged away, replaced by an airiness I never thought I possessed. For the first time in ages, I felt warmth, and light. Somehow, to the darkness that once surrounded me, you brought a spark and let it bloom. And how it glowed! A new fascination washed over me, as I became engulfed in the light. All the beauty I had known in the dark multiplied itself by a thousand and all of a sudden I could see so much more around me, as the cloak of eternal midnight I had unknowingly wrapped around myself had disappeared. You showed me a world I never knew I could be a part of. It filled my eyes, and it filled my heart.

I.
I realize now that you are the sun to my cold, lonely moon. And reflected in your own light, I see your smile, a thousand times brighter than any sun. In your eyes I see the flame that now shares a duet with mine, dancing happily in your heart. That dance... I would never have known that one single dance could change my life so much; would never have known that you would be the one to come along and set fire to fire and create something beautifully new. I didn’t know this. But I suppose you did.

2 comments:

  1. This particular piece, yes; but the concept applies to many others as well.

    ReplyDelete