Friday 30 December 2011

Reflection


I used to be so sure
Of everything;
Of my world and all its contents.
I used to wake up from refreshing sleep
And smile with self-satisfaction at the mirror.
I used to look deep into the eyes of my reflection,
Through a camera lens crystal clear
And see a world, so beautiful, so perfect.
I used to walk along a path, delicately paved,
Each stepping stone aligned just right,
The way I liked it.
That land was a wonderland,
A dreamscape, if you will.
But dreams don’t last forever,
As I’m sure you are aware.
And now, as I peel my eyelids apart
After restless nights,
The turmoil of my sleep
Having seemed to knock the lenses out of focus.
The angles are all wrong now.
The smooth roads crack relentlessly,
And I trip at every turn.
The soft lullabies of weeping willow branches
Turn into screams.
The light spring rains
Evolve into thunderstorms of tears.
The gently rolling clouds
Suddenly turn into clusters of smoke,
Black and gray and sickly yellow.
My world is filled with smoke and mirrors,
Screams and tears.
Where did this haze come from?
I have no idea.
But it chokes me.
And it chokes my reflection,
Suffocating its clarity and perfection.
I lost the one thing I thought I would never lose.
I lost sight of myself.
Now, I stare desperately at my reflection,
But my eyes are only as deep as the glass.

2 comments:

  1. So as I said before, the question is... Do your walk the path set before you, or do you pave your own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the better question is, do I try to repair the broken path, or should just I take it apart and build a new one from scratch?

    ReplyDelete